OpenDisc 07.10 Released!

Posted September 27th @ 3:42 pm by Chris Gray

OpenDisc 07.10

The inaugural version of OpenDisc has hit the streets! Featuring major updates for FileZilla and OpenOffice, and new versions of Blender, ClamWin, Firefox, Pidgin and WinSCP. Also by popular demand the Tux Paint stamps package makes a return to the disc. As per usual printable disc covers and labels are included, but if you’d like to view them online simply visit the cover art section.

Most importantly there are five new programs on OpenDisc 07.10, three of which were added due user suggestion; Dia, GnuCash and the ever-popular VLC are now featured, as is the streamlined Sumatra PDF and TrueCrypt.

You can download the ISO directly, and a MD5 checksum is available for those that want to verify the download before burning.

2 Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Pingback: OpenCD 7.04 - Computer Help Forums on January 7, 2008
  2. Pingback: OpenDisc – Free Software to Download « Amr’s Brain Blizzard on March 9, 2010

20 Comments

1. Tony Sumner
    September 28, 2007 at 19:01

Good news. I just looked at the list of programs in the FAQ and:
    1 any chance of including a C compiler?
    2 why not have a link to the list of programs on the home page
    3 a link from the FAQ back to this page
    4 how does clamwin compare with AVG which I have heard well of (but not tried)?

best wishes and good luck; I am about to send the disc to 2/3 friends who use windows, poor things

2. Tony Sumner
    September 28, 2007 at 19:02

oh and the list of programs is an a strange format, with one narrow column

3. R?zvan Sandu
    September 28, 2007 at 22:25

Hello,

The work is *great* – I’m very impressed and want to thank you.

Just a sugestion: in the cover-art section, would you please add a PDF version of the cover for jewel-cases (back & front), with marks for folding ? It would be very useful for quickly creating large quantities of copies…

Regards,
    R?zvan

4. ChrisGray
    September 28, 2007 at 23:28

Tony: A compiler would be too technical to include, since most Windows users would never have used one before. There is a link to every section of the site, including programs, on the top right of the homepage (and every other page in exception to translation and the forums). Clicking on the OpenDisc logo returns you to the homepage, but I can see how this might not be clear enough, so I’ll add that to the to-do list. ClamWin is great, but doesn’t have the realtime scanner that AVG has. ClamWin’s site can explain things a lot better than I’m able to. :) And the programs are listed that way because of the varying resolutions people have.

R?zvan: I’ll add that to the list as well, though are you asking for jewel case inserts or just the existing graphics in pdf format?

5. Daniele
    September 28, 2007 at 23:37

Can you include Infrarecorder in the Opendisc next version?

6. uxe1
    September 29, 2007 at 02:21

i was reading your post mutiny on open cd, id alwase wonnderd why vlc wasent availible. Thank you for including it. just ons small thing, i have a slower connection and a torrent would be way easer for me to download from. that way i dont spend alot of time for nothing cause i was disconected.
    other than that Thanx and praises!!

7. Mike Novack
    September 29, 2007 at 07:19

First — Great news to see the concept continuing.

Second, I’m going to side with Tony on the inclusion of a C compiler (or actually ANY fairly common language). Chris, I think you are missing something here. I would have had a LOT more takers at work with a complier for stuff to run under Windows. Not all of us are “end users”. Here’s the real world situation:
    a) The availability of compilers for ‘nix are of little interest to those of us who work in the real world because whatever we wrote would not be of general use. OUR “end users” (for whom we were writing) aren’t going to use a ‘nix.
    b) The availability of serious “development packages” for use under Windows isn’t of interest to many of us unless we are going to write stuff FOR SALE.

In other words, when I retired (well semi-retired, I’ve been back in consulting every now and then) I began running a ‘nix just to have access to ANY compilers without having to shell out for a developers package. So I could keep my hand in, keep learning, keep sharp. But anything I wrote just an exercise, no practical use, EVEN something that would be intended to be of use for my organization (the non-profit I work with) because nobody would be able to RUN the end products (just end users, just run Windows).

8. Mike Novack
    September 29, 2007 at 07:38

PS: Not all of us have enough bandwidth to download anything more than a meg or two (no satellite dish — by and large high speed land lines only exist in densely populated areas).

a) Are CDs available? If so, where?

b) I have used burn services (heck, my ISP will do it, though I normally use an outfit that will do it for less per CD). But these almost always require an address for what is to be burned and not a “live” download link. How do I get that?

9. ChrisGray
    September 29, 2007 at 09:20

Daniele: We’ve had our eyes on it for a few months and I’ve talked to the developer. It’ll either make the next version or the one after that, depending on scheduled updates.

uxe1: Working on a torrent. :)

Mike: It’s a pretty persuasive argument – what compiler would you suggest? And to answer your other questions; a) working on that b) Try the sourceforge download page.

10. Praveen A
    September 29, 2007 at 18:10

I think Bloodshed IDE would be a good candidate.
    I have not used it but I have seen my colleague using it.

Best wishes for the project.

11. R?zvan Sandu
    September 30, 2007 at 21:22

Hello, Chris,

I think a PDF version of the cover art for jewel cases will be suitable and convenient for most users (this doesn’t exclude a PDF version for origami, of course, one that can be printed directly on a both-sides printer).

The users that have thin CD cases will only use the front cover, the others will cut the backcover as well.

I’m also interested in translating this cover art in Romanian.

Thanks again,
    R?zvan

12. Andrea
    October 6, 2007 at 09:58

It’s a while since Bloodshed IDE was updated, as far as I know.

CodeBlocks (http://www.codeblocks.org/), available in nightly builds, seems to me nice (and it’s released under GPL license too).

Anyway, congratulations for the good work :)

13. Mik
    October 12, 2007 at 15:40

Thanks for making The Open Disc available. However, I find installing from CD inconvenient.

What about making the same software available through an automatic updater, like Google Updater?

14. Mike Novack
    October 12, 2007 at 22:26

I’ll take the other side of that.

Software by automatic update teaches “end users” bad habits (besides being useless for those of us who do not have immediate high speed access).

When what is delivered is the software plus installer in a form suitable to permament backup then a backup exists (software may be reinstalled at any time). The reality is that users are NOT going to do a “sys backup” every time they have received a software update and it would be a damned nuisance to have to do so.

People DON’T do the backups they should as it is and we shouldn’t be doing anything to worsen that rerality. As a retired “pro” I simply won’t use any software for which I don’t have an easy way to reinstall from backup (and having learned our lesson in a house fire — backups need to reside off site or at least in a fire safe because although not in the room that actually burned, melted in the smoke/heat).

15. Dustin
    October 27, 2007 at 18:02

You should try Notepad++ and also replace Nvu with KompoZer since Nvu is no longer being developed.

16. ful
    December 21, 2007 at 05:40

Thanks for making The Open Disc available.

17. Angel Luis
    February 2, 2008 at 06:08

Hello Friends!!
    I’m just looking for the OpenCD versions 1 and 2 because I’d like to compile the whole collection from versions 1 to the newest OpenDisc versions!! Anyone who could help me? If you have those versions you can contact me: write me to angelete_86@hotmail.com Thanks

18. Mauricio Camara
    April 13, 2008 at 00:34

Congratulations for the excellent work.

What about including ImgBurn (http://www.imgburn.com/) in the package? It´s a pretty useful CD/DVD burning freeware and its Windows installer file is small (approx. 2MB).

Good luck!

Maurício Camara
    Belo Horizonte, MG, Brasil.

19. ChrisGray
    April 15, 2008 at 09:06

ImgBurn is Freeware unfortunately, we can’t include it.

20. dan man
    July 6, 2011 at 20:18

Can you include Infrarecorder in the Opendisc next version?