OpenEducationDisc launched!

Posted October 14th @ 7:52 pm by Chris Gray

OpenEducationDisc 07.10
We’re pleased to announce the latest release of the award winning OpenEducation project, OpenEducationDisc 07.10, an official branch of OpenDisc. This is a modification of OpenDisc by Teachers and Computer Specialists with a passion for education. It provides students with quick, easy and powerful tools specially selected to solve their educational needs. Commercial software licenses can be expensive, especially if you don’t have a full time job, like most students. It doesn’t have to be this way – grab a copy of the OpenEducationDisc today and help make education accessible for all.

1 Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Pingback: free curriculums on June 5, 2008

6 Comments

1. Derek
    October 18, 2007 at 18:23

Please can you provide a list of programs on the Education CD?

2. ChrisGray
    October 18, 2007 at 20:53

The complete listing can be found here.

3. Donna
    October 19, 2007 at 02:53

Any plans to make a CD for Mac as well? This sounds like a great idea, especially since a lot of schools use the Mac. Thanks.

4. MisterKemp
    October 20, 2007 at 16:53

Hi Donna,

There are no firm plans to port this to Mac at the moment, time restraints being the biggest issue. Please start a topic on the opendisc forum under the education category and we’ll see if we can find some supporters and make this happen.

5. Terry Roddy
    October 28, 2007 at 12:57

In response to your poll about CD -vs- DVD, I voted “DVD, if the size is kept small”, because I (for one) now own DVD drives. However, they are by no means universal, and that could be a problem. On the other hand, the physical format of the DVD is inherently more-resistant to damage than the CD, so it is better-suited both for archival use, and for much-used/passed-around discs.

There is, however, a “do both” solution available: distribute in a number of CD-sized ISO’s, which can be all burned onto a DVD (or whatever) at the user’s whim. Then, include some sort of “Virtual CD” software (I’m aware of several commercial versions, but there should be an open source version too – if not, let me know, and I’ll work on one). That lets you make “categorized” distributions (such as your new OpenEducationDisc) of whatever size (under 650M). People can then “pick and choose” what to download and burn, packing on as many ISO-images as will fit on their selected medium (along with the Virtual CD software).

6. ChrisGray
    October 28, 2007 at 19:00

The Virtual CD software sounds excellent, but I’d assume there’d have to be a fair amount of work into developing it for OpenDisc use.

I’m not aware of any OSS solutions, but I’ll investigate and post what I find. :) Having something like this will not only benefit user downloads but ongoing work to get the large ISOs ready.