OpenDisc 08.10 Released!

Posted October 8th @ 9:49 am by Chris Gray

The 08.10 milestone marks our first simultaneous release, with new versions of both OpenDisc and OpenEducationDisc available for download. As always, the latest versions can be found to the right of this page.

This release is notably the first OpenDisc released on DVD; regular users will remember our extended poll asking opinions of CD and DVD sized images, and with the overwhelming majority in support (and space becoming more of a premium) we decided to make the leap to DVD now, rather than remove software.1

As the download size creeps forward, downloading such a large file becomes a concern for more people. We’ve looked at partnerships with different companies to provide physical media to people unable or unwilling to download OpenDisc, but in the end we’ve found that offering OpenDisc ourselves allows us to manage quality control and keep costs down.  Instead of just selling copies of OpenDisc, we’re trying something altogether different.

To reward donators (who make it possible to maintain this entirely volunteer project) each and every donation of or above $15 USD will receive two copies of OpenDisc, airmailed anywhere in the world for free. Why two copies? The packaging we’ve sourced cuts down on costs, and incidentally allows us to send two discs at no extra cost. Keep one yourself, and give the other to a friend!

More information can be found on the development blog.

Update: 08.10a is now available, which includes the milestone release of OpenOffice 3.0.0, and fixes a mastering bug that affected auto-run.

1. Disc authoring software shouldn’t let allow burning the image as a CD, but be careful to use blank DVD media when making copies of OpenDisc from now on. []

12 Comments

1. Patrick Patience
    October 21, 2008 at 03:53

Awesome, Chris. Nice work keeping constant with the releases. I see the forums are still down, so I’ll post this here. I know there was talks about distribution earlier, but I’d like to note that I’d like to help distribute some copies to those interested. Perhaps I can handle those interested in Canada. Give me an email and we can talk about it more.

2. EdisonC
    October 21, 2008 at 04:56

Very cool that OpenDisc is now on DVD. Downloaded the 8.10 image shortly after release, but autostarting resulted in a “file not found” error, and I put it aside. It took a while staring at the \bin\start.ini file this evening to notice that it refers to “k-meleon.exe”–but the corresponding executable in \bin is named “k_melion.exe”.

3. EdisonC
    October 21, 2008 at 04:58

Uh.. that is, the corresponding executable in \bin is named “k_meleon.exe”. Dang typos.

4. Chris Gray
    October 21, 2008 at 23:28

Edison: Somebody sent me an email about this yesterday and it seems switching to DVD has somehow broken it, as we haven’t changed that line of code from the last release. I’ll be checking it out more and post something about it once we’ve wrangled the problem.

Patrick: Good to see your new site too :) The forums are tricky to move (bbPress) so it might be a case of replacing the software and then asking around for somebody to code a migration script. I’ll send you an email in any case.

5. BrianM
    October 23, 2008 at 08:03

Chris: I can confirm EdisonC’s note. Looking at the image in UltraISO, the bin\k-meleon.exe filename seems correct, but when mounted in virtual drive, the bin\k_meleon.exe filename results. I would suggest changing both the bin\start.ini line and bin\k_meleon.exe names to underscore for compatibility. Apparently, the k-meleon “dash” is being misinterpreted by the ISO character set.

6. BrianM
    October 23, 2008 at 08:33

Chris: This ISO burns all – dashes as _ underscores in all filenames on the disc. Rebuilding the image is needed, this could require an ISO+Joliet file system and selection of and extended ISO character set. Otherwise you will have to rehash all HTML references to such filenames. I got the opening menu, but links in the right side bar were dead.

7. BrianM
    October 23, 2008 at 10:01

Chris: I extracted your image with UltraISO, created a missing file \disctree\en\OpenDisc_web.lch to link to the website, and rebuilt ISO image from the extracted files with UltraISO again, and burned the image to a DVD-RW. My DVD works perfectly, no more filename errors, all with default settings of UltraISO. Nero InfoTool shows mine as ISO9660, Joliet.

8. Chris Gray
    October 23, 2008 at 10:49

BrianM: Thanks for the info, we’re doing a rebuild and rigorous testing before re-releasing the disc.

9. Chris Gray
    October 26, 2008 at 08:54

After testing on a vanilla XP box, double-checking links and data integrity, we’ve added 08.10a as the latest version. Thanks to Edison, Brian and those who contacted us via email about the problem.

And as an aside, we added OpenOffice 3.0.0!

10. Mike Novack
    November 4, 2008 at 20:49

Hey I’m here, sort of. Couldn’t remember my ID so had to re-register a new one and haven’t a clue how to do things like change password now that I have a new one.

I’ll soon get around to donating in exchange for some copies of the new version, but that does not completely address the issue of “distribution”. Two for $15 is a “standard and reasonable charge for good copy on medium” but %150 would be excessive for 20 to distribute.

11. VD
    November 13, 2008 at 17:59

I like the new disc however, if it is going to be a DVD please make it at least 1.5 GB in size or offer a CD version that has less programs. For me DVDs are more expensive enough that I would prefer a CD. Also some of my friends whom I would be giving this to have older computers with only CD ROM drives. My only other suggestion is to replace NVU with kompozer.

12. greymane
    November 28, 2008 at 16:26

I think that the problem w. older pc’s with just a CD reader will continue to be a problem for some years to come.
    So wouldnt it be possible w. an OpenDisc to order. Using this you would be able to generate a CD-sized iso-image from a selected set of programs and download it for distribution. In this way you’d be able to target the OpenDisc for a specific audience/purpose.