OpenDisc 10.09 Released!

Posted August 19th @ 10:43 pm by Chris Gray

We’re happy to announce the release of OpenDisc 10.09, available now for free download.

10.09 features over 20 software updates:

Avidemux 2.5.3, ClamWin 0.96.2, DjVuLibre 3.5.23+4.6, FileZilla 3.3.4.1, Firefox 3.6.8, Freeciv 2.2.2, FreeCol 0.9.4, GIMP 2.6.10, InfraRecorder 0.51, Maxima 5.22.1, Miro 3.0.3, OpenOffice.org 3.2.1, Pidgin 2.7.3, RSS Owl 2.0.5, SeaMonkey 2.0.6, Sokoban YASC 1.543, Songbird 1.7.3-1700, Stellarium 0.10.5, Sumatra PDF 1.1, Thunderbird 3.1.2, TightVNC 2.0.2, TrueCrypt 7.0, VLC 1.1.3, Battle for Wesnoth 1.8.4.

You can either directly download OpenDisc on the right hand pane of this page, or browse this website to read more about the software included.

1 Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Pingback: LSCLUG » Opendisc 10.09 Released ! on September 8, 2010

12 Comments

1. Bradley EAton
    September 8, 2010 at 11:43

Hi,

I just wanted to say that I really like the whole idea of this OpenDisc project, it really is good! I noticed that with previous versions of the OpenDisc, there were CD covers and labels, are there any for OpenDisc 10.09? Thanks again for a great way of introducing people to Open Source through Windows!

2. Curbuntu
    September 12, 2010 at 20:25

I’m in agreement with Bradley Eaton (previous comment). When I distribute F/LOSS discs, I like them to look as professional as possible. F/LOSS sites like yours that provide a professional label to download (in some standard format like PNG or JPG) help those of us who distribute such software to make it look far more appealing.

3. Mike Novack
    September 15, 2010 at 19:52

OK — that’s enough new to justify my getting a new set of disks even though we don’t yet have a functioning forum back in place. Please send my the two copies (yes, already made the donation — and no, still no broadband out this way except for satellite which is limited and I’d have to cut some trees down).

4. Chris Gray
    September 15, 2010 at 21:23

Bradley and Curbuntu: In the interim the cover artwork is still available on the disc itself.

Thanks Mike, it’s a shame to hear your broadband situation is still patchy.

5. Cristian
    September 23, 2010 at 06:43

Hi, first of all i’m from south america and every year I translate the opendisc for our FSD, I would be very happy to help you out maybe translating or fixing things.
    This version has a pair of errors. First some links (azureus for example) are dead (they try to call the old link file that doesn’t exist).
    Some programs like songbird before install check if there’s an instance of that program running (the setup and the main exe name are the same) so it can’t be installed. (Rename the install to songbird_install.exe works)
    greets from Chile.

6. Chris Gray
    September 23, 2010 at 11:16

I wasn’t aware of the Songbird problem, but the executables are tested before being renamed, I’m assuming that’s how that one got past us.

Once we have the translation software running for the website it should be easy to work on other languages. :)

7. Joseph
    September 25, 2010 at 17:09

8. Mike Novack
    October 25, 2010 at 12:39

Is there a problem with my disks? (they haven’t arrived yet)

Beginning to look like a very good idea that for one organization that I am helping I used their modest bandwidth capability to download and burn Open Office for them instead of waiting for my Open Disks to arrive.

9. Chris Gray
    October 26, 2010 at 09:55

Hi Mike, since the first ones never made it and you emailed us, I was waiting to send the new version once it was ready, but I’ll burn the current version and send it along to you. Keep us posted (via email or the blog) on when you receive them.

10. Ola Engstrom
    October 30, 2010 at 19:28

In cooperation with the local libray there’s been a small combined exhibition of OpenDisc(swedish version) and Ubuntu. Disc’s for the latest version of both are now on the shelfs.
    PS. There is still unused space on the DVD. Are there any applications to be added?

11. Chris Gray
    October 30, 2010 at 22:22

Hi Ola :) Good to hear that the library is still promoting OpenDisc and OSS in general. There is indeed a vast amount of space left, something we’re hoping to fix once the new design is live and the forums return.

12. Curbuntu
    December 2, 2010 at 00:34

Chris,

Re: Artwork for the CD — I should have looked a bit harder for it. It is indeed on the disc, to be found in /html/coverart. This is great — I wish every F/LOSS offering had this. (Maybe it’s standard and I’m just now waking up to the fact?)

Ola’s idea about supplying the local library with these discs is a new one to me. What possibilities…